Governance and monitoring
The Code Governance Committee (CGC) is the independent body that monitors and enforces insurers' compliance with the Code.
The duties of the CGC are set out in its Charter, and include:
- receiving compliance reports from Code subscribers
- receiving reports of possible Code breaches from the Financial Ombudsman Service
- receiving reports of alleged Code breaches from consumers
- investigating reports of alleged Code breaches and making determinations
- agreeing with Code subscribers any corrective measures to remedy Code breaches and monitoring their implementation
- imposing sanctions on Code subscribers if breaches are not corrected, such as a requirement that particular rectification steps be taken, that Code subscribers place corrective advertising, and/or publication by the CGC of a Code subscriber’s non-compliance
- publishing an Annual Report on the activities of the CGC
The Code Governance Committee will outsource its day-to-day Code compliance monitoring work to the FOS Code Compliance team, as occurred under the previous codes of practice.
Anyone can report an alleged breach of the Code to the CGC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You should receive an acknowledgement email to confirm your message has been received by the Code Compliance team at FOS. If you have not received this acknowledgement email, please contact the Code Compliance team on email@example.com or 1800 367 287.
Breaches can also be reported at:
PO Box 14240
Melbourne Mailing Centre
MELBOURNE VIC 8001
As of July 1, 2014, the CGC has taken over from the former Code Compliance Committee, which monitored insurers under the previous codes of practice.
Code Governance Committee's submission to the Code of Practice Review Terms of Reference
The Code Governance Committee's submission to the Code of Practice review Terms of Reference is available here.
Code Governance Committee's annual reports
The Code Governance Committee’s 2015-2016 annual report outlines its activities from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016, including information about the number of matters referred to the Committee and sanctions imposed.
Click here to view the Code Governance Committee's 2015 - 2016 Annual Report.
Click here to view the Code Governance Committee’s 2014 - 2015 Annual Report.
General Insurance Industry Data Report
Click here to view the General Insurance Industry Data report 2015-2016
Click here to view the General Insurance Industry Data Report 2014-2015
Code Governance Committee’s Own-Motion Inquiries
Click here to view the General Insurance Code Governance Committee's Own Motion Inquiry on Investigation of Claims and Outsourced Services (May 2017)